Accidents can be frightening, even more so when they involve an Uber or Lyft ride. You may be wondering if you are responsible for covering the costs of your medical bills and other related expenses or if you need to seek legal assistance. This blog post will provide the insights you need.
Being involved in an Uber or Lyft car accident is not only painful but often complicated due to the unique legal scenarios that emerge. We’ll walk you through what you need to know, giving you the understanding necessary to navigate this difficult time. Read on to discover whether you should seek legal counsel after an Uber or Lyft accident.
Understanding the Intricacies of Uber or Lyft Accidents
A study by the University of Chicago Booth School of Business found that the introduction of ride-hailing services is linked to a 3% increase in motor vehicle fatalities and fatal accidents. This means that Uber or Lyft accidents are becoming increasingly more frequent.
An Uber or Lyft accident is an unfortunate incident that involves a ride-share vehicle. It could involve the driver, other passengers, or any pedestrians or motorists nearby. A key factor to understand is that Uber and Lyft have insurance policies to cover ride-share accidents, but you must understand how these policies work and what they cover.
Uber and Lyft’s insurance coverage kicks in after the ridesharing driver’s insurance, if any, is exhausted. If you’re claiming the ridesharing company’s UM/UIM coverage, you’ll need to demonstrate that the driver at fault either had insufficient insurance, didn’t have enough coverage to compensate you for your injuries, or couldn’t be identified.
Uninsured Motorists coverage (UM) provides protection in case your vehicle is involved in an accident with an uninsured driver. On the other hand, Underinsured Motorists coverage (UIM) comes into play when the at-fault driver has liability insurance, but the coverage limits are insufficient to cover the damages.
It is also important to note that Uber and Lyft drivers are considered the company’s independent contractors instead of employees. This means that a different set of laws and regulations applies to Uber and Lyft accidents than traditional motor vehicle accidents.
Experiencing any type of accident can be incredibly distressing, especially when you have placed your trust in a driver to ensure your safety. If you sustain an injury in an Uber or Lyft car accident, you are entitled to pursue compensation for your injuries and any other damages you have incurred.
The Different Types of Damages That Can Be Covered
In an Uber and Lyft car accident, you may be able to receive compensation for the following types of damages:
- Damage to the vehicle and any personal belongings inside
- Medical bills and expenses for your treatment, including any future treatments
- Lost wages because you are unable to work while recovering from your injuries
- Potential long-term disability affecting your ability to earn in the future, resulting in future lost wages
- Physical and emotional pain from your injuries
- Emotional distress, such as depression and PTSD
What To Do if You Are Injured in an Uber or Lyft Accident
If you find yourself injured in an Uber or Lyft accident, you should take several crucial steps to protect your rights and prepare for any potential legal action. Here is a list of actions that can help safeguard your interests:
- First and foremost, ensure your safety and the safety of others, and seek immediate medical attention if necessary.
- Report the incident to the police, and make sure all details of the accident are documented in the police report.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with all parties involved, including the Uber or Lyft driver.
- Document the scene of the accident with photos or videos, if possible.
- Contact Uber or Lyft to report the accident through their app or website.
- Consult an experienced Uber and Lyft car accident attorney for advice and potentially to represent your interests.
Don’t forget that your ride-share driver’s insurance coverage can change instantly with just a tap on the app. If the app is turned off while someone is driving, then passengers or third parties are only covered by the driver’s car insurance. Make sure you know what kind of coverage the driver had at the time of the accident.
How To Choose the Right Lawyer for Your Case
In the aftermath of an Uber or Lyft accident, understanding your legal options and making the right decisions is crucial. The complexity of Uber and Lyft accidents often necessitates legal assistance to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. Here are some key steps to help you choose the right lawyer for your case:
- Specialization in Uber and Lyft Accidents: Look for an attorney who specializes in handling Uber and Lyft accident cases. These professionals have the experience and knowledge to navigate the unique legal complexities of ride-sharing accidents.
- Experience Matters: Seek out a lawyer with a proven track record of successfully handling Uber and Lyft accident claims. Experience in similar cases demonstrates their ability to effectively represent your interests.
- Local Expertise: Opt for a lawyer who is familiar with the specific laws and regulations governing Uber and Lyft accidents in your jurisdiction. Local expertise can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case.
- Client Reviews and Recommendations: Read client reviews and ask for recommendations from friends, family, or colleagues who may have gone through a similar situation. Positive feedback from past clients is a good indicator of a lawyer’s competence.
- Initial Consultation: Schedule initial consultations with potential attorneys to discuss your case. This is an opportunity to assess their communication skills, willingness to listen, and ability to explain complex legal matters clearly and understandably.
- Fees and Payment Structure: Inquire about the attorney’s fees and payment structure. Many personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Ensure you understand the fee arrangement before proceeding.
- Transparency and Communication: Choose a lawyer who values transparency and maintains open communication throughout the legal process. You should feel comfortable asking questions and receiving updates on your case’s progress.
- Success in Settlements and Trials: Inquire about the lawyer’s history of settling cases and their success in courtroom trials. A skilled attorney should be capable of negotiating favorable settlements but also prepared to go to trial if needed.
How Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyers Can Help You
Now that you know the key steps to finding a skilled lawyer for your Uber accident, let’s explore some of the benefits of working with an Uber and Lyft car accident attorney:
- An experienced lawyer can help you determine who is responsible for the accident and gather evidence to support your claim.
- Your lawyer will evaluate all the damages you have incurred and work to ensure you receive full compensation for your injuries.
- A lawyer can help you navigate the complexities of the legal process, including dealing with insurance companies and filing any necessary paperwork.
- An attorney can advise you on your options and represent your best interests in settlement negotiations or courtroom proceedings.
- Your lawyer can fight to protect your rights and ensure that justice is served for those responsible for your accident.
Your Trusted Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyers
If you or a loved one has been injured in an Uber accident, it’s essential to act quickly and get a skilled Uber and Lyft car accident attorney on your side. Navigating the aftermath of such an accident can be complex and stressful, and you should not have to do it alone.
At Fogelman Law Firm, we specialize in car accident cases and are ready to fight for your rights, ensuring that you get the compensation you deserve. Don’t let an Uber or Lyft accident derail your life. Contact us today for a free consultation to discuss your situation and learn how we can assist you.